Before learning how to make a matcha latte, you should read a definition to understand this drink if you hear about it for the first time.
What is Matcha Latte?
Inspired by the Coffee latte, Matcha latte uses green tea powder (instead of coffee) combined with fresh milk to create a rich flavor, cream, and mild bitterness. This drink has a low amount of caffeine, suitable for those who pay attention to the caffeine content of the body.
The advantage of low caffeine plus the beauty effects makes this drink so popular. Matcha will gently boost your energy and help you have a productive day.
What is the taste of this Japanese Latte?
“A good matcha will not taste bitter at all; there will be a slightly sweet taste.” – Louise Cheadle – co-author of The Book of Matcha and co-owner of the tea company Teapigs.
Different from the usual ingredients, matcha includes flavors that we can hardly describe. According to ArtfulTea, matcha can have five distinct flavors. It is vegetal, umami, sweet, bitter, and smooth.
Four recipes for making Matcha Latte
Hot latte with Matcha
- Put the matcha powder into a wide-mouth cup, add 40ml of hot water at 80 degrees Celsius. Use a Chasen brush to beat the tea powder until it forms a layer of fine green tea bubbles.
- Add 10ml sugar water and 10ml vanilla syrup and stir well.
- Heat 150ml of fresh milk in a pot or with a coffee maker. Whip fresh milk with a whisk or hand mixer.
- Slowly pour the frothed milk into the cup. The final drink forms two layers and has a fine foam on top.
- Enjoy the drink or stir well and enjoy.
Starbucks-style iced matcha latte
- Put the above ingredients in the order of 150ml fresh milk + 350ml ice cubes + 10ml sugar water + 10ml vanilla syrup + 5g matcha into the shaker.
- Shake the shaker vigorously for about 10-15 seconds until the shaker is cold.
- Pour the above mixture into the cup. Garnish with fluffy milk foam if desired.
2 tier iced milk matcha
- Pour 5g of matcha into a wide-mouthed cup, add 40ml of hot water of 80 degrees Celsius into the cup, and then use a Chasen brush to beat the tea until smooth.
- Add sugar syrup and vanilla syrup and stir well.
- Place 350ml ice cubes in a tall beaker. Then slowly pour 150ml of fresh milk into the cup.
- Gently pour the above matcha mixture into the cup to form a 2-tier matcha latte.
- Stir the matcha well and enjoy.
Matcha Latte Espresso
- Put 5g of matcha into a wide-mouth cup, add 40ml of hot water at 80 degrees C + 10ml of sugar syrup + 10ml of vanilla syrup. Use a Chasen brush to stir until the tea is smooth and foamy.
- Pour the above mixture into a beaker. Add 350ml of ice cubes to the rim of the cup.
- Slowly pour 150ml of fresh milk on top. Then lightly pour another cup of espresso on top.
- Stir the drink well before enjoying it.
I hope you get some inspired with these recipes. Why not stand up and make a cup of matcha latte now to pamper your day. Discover more about the coffee and tea world with us here.